Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Sweet and Sour Meatballs Recipe


I love so much about this recipe! As I've written before, 2 of us are allergic to pineapple. But I LOVE sweet and sour sauce. Most have pineapple in them though so I wasn't able to eat it anymore.  But now I found something that works in its place, and tastes close enough to the “real thing” that I no longer feel like I am missing out.

Sweet and Sour Meatballs
  • 1 medium sized bag of home-style meatballs (or make your own, the bags have about 66 small meatballs in them)
  • 1 small jar grape jelly
  • 1 small bottle chili sauce
Mix it all up in a labeled gallon freezer bag, lay flat to freeze. Place upright to store.
Cook on low for 3 hours if completely thawed, about 4 hrs if frozen still. Serve on toothpicks for an appetizer or over rice for a meal.

Now how does this make me feel like I’m not missing out?  I can mix up just the sauce and have it for other items too that I want sweet and sour sauce for!  I can enjoy things like egg rolls and crab ragoons! Those are 2 of my most favorite things to dunk in sweet and sour sauce.  Now I can again!
I say it’s “close enough” to the real thing, and most will probably disagree. But when you've been missing out on something “small” like this for years, the little things like finding a suitable replacement is huge!

No comments:

Post a Comment